Friday, June 26, 2009

Scrumptious Blueberry Banana Muffins

I love to bake. I love blueberries. And blueberry muffins have been calling my name for a couple days now, so I decided to indulge myself a little and get cookin' this afternoon! The thing with me is that I don't really "follow" most recipes, I use them only as suggestions and make substitutions or add or throw in a monkey or whatever. My dad makes fun of me for this. So when I decided to make my muffins, I consulted a few cookbooks and then came up with my own concoction:
  • 1/2 ripe banana
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 c. Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze
  • 1/2 c. wheat bran
  • 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tbs. sugar
  • 1/2 c. blueberries
Mash banana in a large bowl and beat in egg, then add almond milk. Measure in all dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. Add the blueberries and fold in.
Spoon batter into muffin cups sprayed with Pam and bake at 350. I made mini muffins, so I baked mine for just 10 minutes, but if you're making larger muffins, try 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I read a little tip in my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook not to use muffin liners with either banana or bran style muffins because they will stick and fall apart, so I just baked them in a sprayed tin instead.

I was actually kind of surprised when these turned out well--I'm kind of a skeptic and the batter tasted a little weird, but they were deliciously light, just sweet enough and totally packed with blueberries. This mess made 12 of these little goobers, each clocking in at about 40 calories. Not bad for some tasty homemade goodness, yeah? Who's laughing now Dad? Mmmmmuffins :)

No comments:

Post a Comment