Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Open Sesame

Inspired by a recent recipe in this month's issue of Shape magazine (I couldn't find a link online), I created a little sweet n' savory chickpea salad of my own. I say inspired because, as usual, I took the basis of the recipe and then totally ignored the rest of the recommendations. Sometimes I do this just because I am an experimentarian, but in this case it was partially necessitated by the fact that I didn't have some of the ingredients called for.
The Shape recipe called for peanut oil, which I don't usually have just hanging around the house, so I decided to use some sesame oil I had on hand. Sesame oil has a pretty strong flavor, and I thought it might overpower some of the spices suggested, so I kept it simple instead.
Here's what went into my mix:

  • about 1/3 c. leftover chickpeas
  • handful shredded baby carrots
  • 1 small stalk of celery, chopped
  • sprinkling of raisins
  • 2 tbs. cider vinegar
  • drizzle of sesame oil
  • salt and pepper

I was pretty pleased with the way this turned out, my only recommendation would be to add some onion to jazz it up a little. I ate this with some leftover grilled chix and Kashi crackers on the side for scooping and it was super filling. It would also be great on top of mixed greens or stuffed into a pita. Let me know if you try this or any other variation!

No comments:

Post a Comment