Sunday, May 31, 2009

Dehydration!

I have been fascinated for some time now with the process of food dehydration. I have seen it popping up all over the blogs, and I have done some studying of the raw lifestyle. While I don't think I could ever go completely raw--I love BBQ WAY too much!--I do agree with the principle of eating your food as close to its natural state as possible. We visited my husband's family this weekend, and imagine my delight when I uncovered a brand new dehydrator in my mother-in-law's pantry. I was so excited to try it out it was ridiculous. Unfortunately, my camera is on its last legs, but I documented the entire yummy process for you. Begin with whatever raw fruit you'd like. Apples and bananas are what seemed the easiest--and the fastest. With different fruits/foods, the times vary according to moisture level, and we were only there for a day after I made my discovery.

Slice everything up, the thinner the better so it will dry faster, and arrange on dehydrator trays.I sprinkled some cinnamon on top because obviously, cinnamon makes everything extra delicious.



Just stack the trays on the machine, place the lid on with the vents open and plug in.

Then, all you have to do is wait.



The next morning:
I had to try them right away, so I did. And then I put some in my oatmeal too :)
The cranberries are not my own dehydrated creation. Ocean Spray was responsible for that.
The overall result was great, and I loved them! They tasted much cleaner than regular dried fruit, without any extra oil or sugar. My little project was a success and I can only hope that a dehydrator of my own is in the future (do I really have to wait til Christmas??).

No comments:

Post a Comment