Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Hot Mess Hummus

Like most of y'all in on the blogs, I have an addiction to hummus, in particular the 3 Pepper Spicy kind by Athenos. I'm not a super fan of any of the other flavors they make, but this one is always divine. For a long time, my local grocery store had this brand on sale of $1.99 (!!!), but alas, the promotion was discontinued the end of July and I was afraid I was destined to be hummus-less due to my highly frugal (a.k.a. cheap-ass) nature. BUT...I realized I could just as easily make my own. Duh! I still have a container of chipotle peppers in adobo suace packed away in my fridge from when I made this, so I decided to make my own supah spicy hot mess hummus.

A note about chipotle chilis--most recipes only call for something like one chopped chili and 1 tsp of sauce, but they obviously don't sell 1 single chili canned, so you'll have to by a while 4 oz or so can. Be advised, there are a lot of little peppers in this can! Never fear though, because as you can see, they stay good forever! This means you will have lots of time to get totally creative with your spicy self and make stuff like this:

Spicy Chipotle Hummus with Garlic and Lemon
  • 1/2 can drained garbanzo beans
  • 1 tbs. tahini
  • 1/4 c. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1 chopped chipotle chili, plus 1 tsp. adobo sauce
Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend, scraping down sides as necessary. Add water or more lemon juice if needed to reach desired consistency. Serve on chips, veggies, turkey sandwiches and anything else you can think of :)

1 comment:

  1. making my own hummus was the best thing ever. sigh, too bad i am not eating hummus for awhile! but when i do again i will try this recipe, yum yum!!!

    ReplyDelete