Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Creative Kitchen

I had a bunch of fresh veggies in the fridge and some leftover garbanzo beans that I wanted to use up tonight, so when I got home from work, it was time to get creative in the kitchen. Voila!

Lemon and Herb Summer Medley Pasta
This was super easy and could probably be modified a million different ways, so I'm not even sure it's a recipe. Here's how it all got thrown together: Begin by sauteing as much onion as you like (and for me, that's a lot). Chop up the majority of veggies in your fridge such as half a red bell pepper, a small yellow squashie, one zucchini, , two mushrooms and most of a nearly dead tomato and added them to the mix in that order.

As the veggies began to brown sprinkle them with salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano and thyme. All spices here are to taste. I don't like to recommend increments because I tend to like my food A LOT spicier than most, and I'm particularly heavy-handed with the red pepper flakes. I don't really do subtle very often when it comes to food. While I certainly can appreciate a lighter flavor bouquet, I usually like to keep things poppin'.

Stir in the very last of a jar of minced garlic (about 1 1/2 tsp.) and a few tablespoons of lemon juice towards the end of cooking so as not to burn the garlic.


Cook some whole wheat penne at the same time, and stir in a couple spoonfuls of cooking water along with some parmesan cheese after the veggie mix is removed from the heat to create a little saucy goodness. Toss in some random leftover beans (garbanzo and black), and spoon veggies over pasta. Top with extra cheese if you please.
This culinary experiment turned out well and was the perfect light and summery dish to unwind with this evening. I hope everyone else is doing relaxing things tonight as well and enjoying their time. I'm off to unwind some more with another perfectly light and summery treat (No not ice cream. I already had some of that)--the second Southern Vampire novel by Charlaine Harris--has anyone else read these? Such a guilty pleasure : )

3 comments:

  1. i just got all those novels off amazon! i havent started reading them yet though. your dish looks so good! i just got a slew of veggies from the farmers market tonight, it is on tuesday nights now in addition to saturday morning, at pioneer park. have a good night lady!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I got them from Amazon too! SUCH a good deal. Oh, Farmer's Market, I miss you! I haven't had the chance to go at ALL this summer! What am I doing??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like such a great pasta dish! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete